Monday, April 15, 2013

En Route to the "City of Brotherly Love"

I'm en route to Philadelphia as I write this. Our Washington, D.C. with Philadelphia tour begins tomorrow, and since I've not been to Philadelphia before, I'm going in a day early to get my bearings. Of course, I'm hearing now about the bombings at the Boston marathon. My heart goes out to those affected. At the same time, I am also grateful that we did not pick Boston as part of this particular tour. It was a possibility in the planning stages.

This is a reunion tour of sorts, as some of the guests were with us a few years ago for another visit to the nation's capital, namely Tom and Dee Treloar, who inspired this return trip. This time, however, we'll be adding Philadelphia to our stops, where we'll see Independence Hall, the place where the Declaration of Independence was adopted in 1776.

Then we'll head on to the District of Columbia and Williamsburg, Virgina. We'll visit such places as the Smithsonian Institute, the Vietnam Memorial wall, the FDR memorial, the relatively new World War II memorial, Arlington National Cemetery, the Governor's Palace at Williamsburg, and the Yorktown battlefield, where general Cornwallis surrendered to George Washington. All of these sites and more await us on this tour that truly inspires a renewal of our faith in the concept of America, that "shining city on a hill".

www.QueensLanderTours.com

No comments: