Monday, January 7, 2013

The New and Old of It All

I have an old watch that belonged to my father. It's vintage now, purchased in the 1950's. I have not worn it much because it needed a new band, but yesterday I pulled it out and purchased a gold band that will give it a new lease on usefulness. It's always good to have a link to the past, I believe, but to make that link somehow purposeful for the present.

Last night I was watching a show about Highclere Castle in Hamphire, England. It's the real 'Downton Abbey' of TV fame. It's a similar story: an old house that is being preserved and cared for by future generations looking for ways to keep it relevant and pass it on with a purpose. Sometimes it means out with the old and in with the new, while preserving the basic structure and refurbishing the rooms.

I suppose it's similar for running a business like QueensLander. To maintain her, sometimes we need to make hard decisions about keeping her going, redefining her role and purpose, making her more relevant to the needs of the populous, etc. Of course, we maintain that which is important to keep: the idea of high quality, small group travel that opens the world for people in a new and refreshing way! Keep what works, but upgrade and improve that which needs help. The latter can only improve and strengthens the value of the former.

www.QueensLanderTours.com

No comments: